The Canadian Integrated Ocean Observing System (CIOOS) was established in 2019 to address inaccessible ocean data and the lack of a mechanism for coordination and collaboration in Canada’s ocean observing community. CIOOS works to integrate fragmented and isolated ocean data by creating an open-access national platform that facilitates data discovery for end-users.
CIOOS curates Essential Ocean Variables (EOVs) collected in Canadian waters aligned with the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS). Our efforts contribute to global initiatives and are part of Canada’s commitment to the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021 – 2030). These endeavours strive to make ocean science more accessible, predictable, and engaging for all.
CIOOS is a collaboration between institutional, governmental, and non-governmental partners located in the Pacific, the St. Lawrence, and the Atlantic. These Regional Associations (RAs) work closely with local organizations to meet end-user needs and develop place-based solutions for a diverse country.
As Canada’s nucleus for ocean observing, CIOOS makes connections for a sustainable ocean future.
To foster partnerships and grow a powerful online platform that generates information, knowledge, and place-based solutions to advance our understanding of the ocean.
- Build on existing strengths
- Remain science-based and policy neutral
- Cultivate productive, respectful partnerships
- Serve the needs of multiple sectors through flexibility, adaptability, and innovation
- Provide reliable and high quality data across Canada ensuring that data are Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable (FAIR).
Want to take part in CIOOS and get involved?
However you wish to take part in the system, you are welcome to:
- Share your data on the platform;
- Support our mission financially;
- Become testers during the development of our tools;
- Suggest improvements;
- Inform us of your successes involving data found thanks to CIOOS.
Use the form below or write to us at email@example.com and we will be happy to start a conversation with you!